A record number of distillers from across Australia entered their products into the coveted awards with 86 distillers submitting a product. For the second year running, the Best Distiller award went to South Australia’s Fleurieu Distillery, this year for two of their whiskies – Don Quixote and Tapestry.
Fleurieu Distillery was also awarded the Premier’s Spirit Award for their Don Quixote whisky.
The Premier of South Australia Peter Malinauskas acknowledged the contributions all entrants have made to make the South Australian industry one of the fastest growing in the nation.
“Congratulations to this year’s winners, including Fleurieu Distillery for taking out the Premier’s Spirit Award. It is sensational to see South Australian distillers taking home nine of the 11 major awards,” Premier Malinauskas said.
“The Tasting Australia Spirit Awards only continue to grow. It is a fantastic opportunity for our state, with its significant reputation for high quality beverages, to host the best of Australian industry for such a significant competition.”
The panel of judges tasted more than 280 products to settle on the winning bottles. Head Judge Ollie Margan, one of the country’s top bar entrepreneurs, led the expert panel through the judging process.
“Our panel of 12 judges from across Australia had a tough decision – the spirits industry is one of the most diverse in the world and the entries we received in this year’s Spirit Awards certainly highlighted that,” Margan said.
“This year, 249 medals were given out including 43 gold medals, 98 silver medals and 108 bronze medals. It is not an easy feat to receive a medal in competitions like this one, so all the distilleries who placed should be very proud.”
The 2023 Tasting Australia Spirit Award winners
- Best Whisky: Don Quixote by Fleurieu Distillery – South Australia
- Best Gin: Triple Juniper Gin Export Strength by Never Never Distilling Co. – South Australia
- Best Vodka: Pluto Vodka by Pluto Spirits – South Australia
- Best Rum: Australian Rum by Brix Distillery – New South Wales
- Best Brandy: St Agnes XO 15YO Brandy by St Agnes Distillery – South Australia
- Best Liqueur: Orsa by Karu Distillery – New South Wales
- Best Vermouth / Bitters / Other: Aperitivo by Ragazzi e Succo – South Australia
- Premier’s Spirit Award: Don Quixote by Fleurieu Distillery – South Australia
- Best Distiller: Fleurieu Distillery for their Don Quixote and Tapestry – South Australia
- Innovation Award: ‘Siropo’ Amaro by Spirito Santo – South Australia
- Best New Distiller: Pluto Spirits for their Pluto Vodka and Pluto Oaked Cane Spirit – South Australia