There’ll be more than 50 local businesses involved in events that support the eco-conscious movement during this month-long celebration of sustainability.
The jam-packed itinerary includes markets, mystery bus tours, workshops and documentary screenings across the city of Adelaide and the surrounding regions. This year’s events span all the way between Willunga on the Fleurieu Peninsula to Melrose in the southern Flinders Ranges.
“I feel confident in now calling Slow Fashion September Adelaide a festival,” says Slow Fashion September Adelaide event organiser Louiza Hebhardt.
“Vintage, upcycled, handmade, recycled, repurposed: we look forward to showcasing slow fashion and sustainable living in all its forms, and there will really be something for everyone to learn and enjoy.”
Included in the program this year is:
- An opening night slow fashion catwalk, featuring upcycled and vintage pieces from local creators and collectors including Annie Parker Upcycling, Naked Pony Slow Fashion and Tiny Oz host JoAnne Bouzianis-Sellick
- An exclusive two-day market on the opening weekend. Located at the iconic Market Shed on Holland at the southern end of King William Street in the city check out the best in Adelaide’s slow fashion and sustainable living scene. In addition to your favourite collectors and creators, patrons will be entertained with sustainability focused workshops. On Sunday, enjoy a screening of The Giants, a widely acclaimed documentary about the life and work of Greens founder Bob Brown
- Mystery bus tours showcasing slow fashion-friendly shopping experiences at quaint artisan workshops, retro inspired boutiques and pop-up shops. But that’s not all, stops include sustainable living eateries to enjoy lunch at venues which use eco friendly practices in their kitchens and local, seasonal produce in their menus
- Charity fashion themed quiz night with all proceeds from this event going to support Catherine House which provides support services as well as crisis and longer term accommodation options for women experiencing homelessness
- Multiple clothes swapping events which are a fabulous opportunity to clear out the wardrobe of garments that no longer fit or are worn and gain some new-to-you pieces in exchange
- The end of season High School Disco celebration, an opportunity to frock up and flaunt clothes from eras gone by. Dust off your dancing shoes for a night of high school nostalgia
Tickets are available online, with some events like Mystery Bus Tours set to sell out quickly.
FREE events occurring during the month include:
- Slow Fashion September Adelaide launch weekend market on Saturday 2 and Sunday 3 September at Market Shed on Holland in the city
- Double – Adelaide’s first PLUS Sized markets on Sunday 10 September at the Croatian Club, Brompton
- Slow fashion market mecca Gilles at the Grounds on Sunday 25 September at Adelaide Showgrounds
1 – 30 Sep 2023